I came to Dubai at the end of November 2013 …
… and so far I’ve done a lot! And I know that some of my still-undones, like souvenir shopping, will be done soon. There are actually way more than 10, but for this week’s TOP TEN TUESDAY here are some of the fun things that I reallllly want to cross off my list — let’s see how many I can do in the next 8 1/2 weeks!
1. FLYING HIGH My first time fly boarding I made it to about 20 feet in the air; when my friend and I visited the Burj Khalifa’s observation deck we were 124 stories up.
2. FINDING NEMO I love anything to do with water, and pretty exotic fish are right up my alley. You can see the huge Dubai Mall aquarium from the outside for free, but I would pay the 70 or 80 dirhams to go inside for a better look …
3. VROOM VROOM I’m not even a big fan of cars, or most roller coasters! But I hear the Ferrari World theme park in Abu Dhabi is a must-see. A must-do. Whatever.
4. LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION Since November I’ve had this idea to do a bird-themed photoshoot or video shoot in front of a cliff at the resort entrance, and/or a fish/mermaid-themed one on some rocks at the water’s edge (though the chances of security ruining this are fairly good).
The pics above are from my intro and outro shoot for 60 Days in Paradise, and I’d love to revisit the locations with a good photog for some concept shots. Fingers crossed …
5. WINTER IN THE SUMMER Obviously I left winter behind me on purpose this year … however, not many malls have skating rinks in them (the Dubai Mall does), and a ski hill inside of a mall (Mall of the Emirates) is pretty unique …
6. BEACH BBQ, BEACH PICNIC or DESERT SAFARI Although I’ve been to a desert barbecue before (Abu Dhabi, 2008), I’d love to go out into the wilderness again for some good food with cool people. The desert safari is a package deal, very popular with tourists, which usually includes a meal, henna for the ladies, belly dancing, a camel ride, and dune bashing. Or there’s the option to just hang out with some friends around a bonfire.
Either one works for me!
7. TAILOR MADE Oooh I’m excited for this!
After next payday, I’m meeting up with Iqbal from City Land Tailors — this shop came highly recommended in a blog I found — to see about having alterations done on a shirt I already own, plus having one or two dresses (and maybe another blouse) made from scratch based on designs that I’m going to bring in and tweak. Will they look as good and fit as well as they do in my dreams? The suspense!!!
8. MERRILY MERRILY MERRILY MERRILY … I’ve spent lots of time in/near water on this trip (hey, I’m a Pisces after all) but I’ve only set foot on a boat once in all these months, and that’s unacceptable! So I’m keen to go yachting, or do one of the dinner cruises on a dhow (pictured) on the Dubai creek.
9. A LATE-NIGHT SWIM This sounds easier to accomplish than it is! If I’m found in one of the pools past 7 or whenever they close, I’ll get chased away and maybe reprimanded by management (which is not something you want when your employer owns your work visa). If I go into the sea instead, it’ll be hard to get good pictures and I’ll be somewhat terrified, since I found jellyfish washing up on the beach recently. If I do neither, I’ll be forever unsatisfied.
So stay tuned.
10. OFF STAGE Hey, remember the time I saw someone perform in Dubai other than one of my coworkers? Nope, me either. So it would be nice to!
This is also harder than it sounds. Weekends here are Friday-Saturday, and I get one night off per week, which was first a Sunday and then a Monday and is now Tuesday. So far I’ve missed out on performances by Cirque du Soleil, Jennifer Lopez and Carlos Santana, and I’ll miss Lionel Richie on April 17th, as well as Justin Timberlake in Abu Dhabi on May 23rd. But there’s gotta be some fun show I can catch, other than our own!
Let’s be honest, I’ve already had an incredible experience full of incredible experiences out here … from fly boarding and bargain hunting and meeting famous athletes to singing on a beach and hanging out with peacocks and making new friends from all over the world … so it won’t ruin my mood if any of these 10 things don’t get accomplished before I leave. Besides, there’s always another trip
For up-to-the-minute pic and vid updates, follow me on Instagram! @chattrisse =)